Select Page

Tax Receipts Announcement

The Canada Revenue Agency is replacing the T2202A Tuition and Enrolment Certificate form with the T2202 form starting with the 2019 tax year.

What does this mean for you?

If you would like to file a T2202 for the 2019 tax year, you will need to provide IFSE with your SIN. You must add your SIN by accessing your student profile through the IFSE website at Please note, you will need to add your SIN to your student profile by February 14, 2020 in order to receive your T2202. To protect your privacy, please do not email or call with your SIN. Any emails with SINs will not be added to your account and will be destroyed immediately.

Your 2019 T2202 tax forms will be available for download from the student website after February 29, 2020.

For answers to your questions, please see our FAQs below.


Do I have to provide my SIN?

Starting calendar 2019, all designated educational institutions (DEI) are required to file a T2202, which requires the student’s Social Insurance Number (SIN). The Income Tax Act (ITA) requires the DEI to make reasonable efforts to obtain the student’s SIN. As per instructions from CRA, students who do not provide their SIN will have nine zeros defaulted in their T2202. If your employer paid or reimbursed you for the course, or if you do not file taxes in Canada, or if you do not wish to claim your T2202, then you do not need to provide your SIN.

How do I update my SIN?

You must add your SIN by accessing your student portal on the IFSE website at Please note, you will need to add your Social Insurance Number (SIN) to your record by February 14, 2020 in order to receive your T2202 for the 2019 tax year. Under no circumstances will staff accept a SIN over email or phone.

For privacy reasons, any SIN information you saved will be encrypted and not be visible to yourself or to IFSE staff once you save it in the student profile.

What if I don’t provide my SIN?

If a Social Insurance Number (SIN) is not provided by February 14, 2020, the Form T2202 will be submitted to CRA with the SIN default of nine zeros as per CRA instructions.

Can I submit my SIN by email or phone?

For your own protection we will not accept Social Insurance Number (SIN) information by email or phone. Any SIN provided over email will be rejected and destroyed. The customer service team may assist you with locating where SINs are to be inputted, but will not input the SIN for you.

What if I don’t remember my SIN?

If you can’t remember your Social Insurance Number (SIN), please refer to the website for more information.

How can I update my SIN if I can’t log into my account?

Follow the instructions on the login page at if you forgot your password or username. If you are still unsuccessful, please contact the customer service team at 1 (888) 865-4342.

Do I need to provide a SIN if I am not a resident of Canada?

You only need to provide your Social Insurance Number (SIN), if you intend to claim the tax credit for a personal Canadian Income Tax return.

Where can I find more information about this change with CRA?

For more information, please visit the Government of Canada website at

IFSE respects your privacy and protects your personal information in compliance with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act.